Death and taxes are the only two certainties in life. Even so, few of us have a ‘funeral outfit’ in our wardrobes.
Emotions can run high at funerals and the last thing you want to do is cause offence by dressing inappropriately. If you have a funeral to attend and you’re worried about what to wear, here’s a simple guide to help you make the right choices.
- Follow the dress code. If you’re not sure it’s better to clarify with someone than guess and get it wrong.
- Always wear a black or, in a pinch, a dark coloured suit – unless told otherwise.
- Never wear casual clothing like jeans unless explicitly asked to by the family.
- Pay attention to details like a tie, accessories and polished shoes.
- Keep in mind the religious or cultural traditions of the deceased and their family, and be respectful.